Since we started Candles on the Cobb back in 2000, we have helped not only national charities, but many local youth projects. The following gives you an insight into how we have used your generous donations to benefit the local community, particularly the young people of Lyme Regis.
Total to date… roughly £130,000!
The first Candles on the Cobb event was staged in the year 2000 and raised £7,200, the second event in 2003 raised £15,000, in 2005 the event raised £16,000, in 2008 raised £18,000, in 2012 raised £22,000, and the last event in 2015 raised £40,000.
Lyme Regis Youth Causes have received 50% of all funds raised and Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, Help for Heroes, Diabetes Research, Cancer Research & CLIC/Sergeant, Devon & Cornwall and Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulances and Make a Wish UK have all received significant donations from the remaining 50% of the proceeds raised.
The Candles on the Cobb Pavilion
Another significant addition to the local community was the building of the Candles on the Cobb Pavilion, at the Playing Fields on Anning Road. The Pavilion was built completely by Voluntary labour, and is a hub for the community to use as changing rooms and a store on the playing fields.
Local Youth Causes
Below are details of how we have helped local Youth Causes over the years:
- Funding and Building of the Candles on the Cobb Pavilion on the Anning Road Recreation Ground
- The Provision of new uniforms for the Lyme Regis Majorettes
- Instruments and uniforms for the Lyme Regis Junior Band
- Tracksuits for the members of the Lyme Regis Youth Football Club
- Picnic Tables and Equipment for use of the Lym Valley Scout Group
- Assisting in the funding of a media/film project organised by the InSPARation Youth Cafe
- Assisting with the provision of a table tennis table for use by the youth section of the Lyme Regis Table Tennis Club
- Assisting with the funding of the Lyme Youth Theatre
- Equipment for The Woodroffe School
- The provision of an integrated sound system for the St. Michaels Primary School Hall.
- Assisting with the provision for facilities used by Youth Organisations at the Woodmead Halls
- The provision of a play house and equipment for Lyme Regis Pre-School
- Assistance with B Sharp – a Lyme Youth Arts Project providing creative opportunities for young people in and around Lyme Regis
- Supporting the work of the youth section of Lyme Regis Sailing Club
- Supporting the facilities provided by LymeNet for young people in Lyme Regis
- Equipment for the youth section of the Lyme Regis Taekwondo Club
- Equipment for the youth section of the Uplyme & Lyme Regis Cricket Club